Extension Cord Safety
Extension cords are only to be used temporarily!
Many people are under the impression that an extension cord is perfectly safe to use as a permanent solution if the appliance cord is too short; this is completely wrong for the following reasons:
- Generally speaking, almost every extension cord available in the hardware store uses smaller wire than your standard household wiring. This creates a higher resistance and often times cannot safely pass the necessary current required. This results in an increased extension cord temperature with a high chance of melting the cord and creating a fire hazard.
- An extension cord used over a long period of time becomes brittle and will break / crack over time, exposing bare wires increasing the chances of sparking / fire.
- Pets and toddlers are often attracted to cords and wires and could become a shock hazard if tampered with.
- The most important reason of all? The Canadian Electrical Safety Code specifically states that it is a code violation to use an extension cord for a permanent connection. (Insurance companies may lean on this against a claim)
Replacing your existing extension cord for a permanently installed receptacle is a proactive safety measure and a priority for everyone who has a home and a family. Please call Loudon Electric for a free estimate – Make your home a safer place.